Welcome to my Idaho adventure blog!

Hi, my name is Chelle. I am a recent B.S.U. graduate and a lifelong Idaho resident. I have three loves in my life - my family, my writing, and my Idaho. The purpose of this blog is to share my extensive and intimate knowledge of Idaho with you, through my writing. As a woman with a family and a tight budget, I am often forced to make memories for pennies, and I want to take you along for the ride. The adventures I post will, almost always, focus on places or activities that are inexpensive and appropriate for children, without being a snore for adults. Some of the activities I write about are camping, fishing, rock hunting, history, environmental news, hot springs, hunting...Basically, anything Idaho.






Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Downtown Nampa Nights

When we arrived at the corner of 1st St. So. and 12th Ave So.,I was stunned. The normally sleepy, four-way stop was cordoned of by a-frame partitions, and it was crawling with people. A man’s voice boomed through a microphone, then slowly bounced of the quaint and historic building fronts, before it wafted across the thick, hot air in our direction. I wiped the sweat from my forehead, and swung the Jeep into the US Bank parking lot.


I deposited the face of my stereo system, and my wallet in the locking console, while Severn helped his lovely, auburn-haired girlfriend out of the back seat. I felt incredibly strange and awkward meeting this girl again, knowing that my son thought they might have a future together. It is incredibly strange to think of my son having a future with anyone, but me. The sappy, doe-eyed way he looked at her made me happy, and I decided to follow the gracious example that mother-in-law set for me – all love, warmth, and friendship.


The three of us headed toward the crowd. I led, and they followed, holding hands. The sun was harsh and I scanned the area for some shade. I spotted an unoccupied bench across the street, and in front of the stage. It was also right next to the beer garden. I seriously considered buying one, but decided that I should set a firm example of no drinking and driving. Thankfully, a small tree provided some speckled cover and eased my thirst a little.

We slid into the bench just as the DJ introduced the evening’s act, Ms. Rebecca Scott. The music was good. I tapped my toes, and tried not feel like a third wheel on a date with the kids, while I crowd watched.

I don’t really know what I expected, but I saw a small slice of Nampa. There were late-teen boys, with their baggy skater pants and Vans, gathered in small bunches of three or four. There was a 30s something family, wearing khakis and baseball caps, pulling two toddlers along in a little red wagon. One very enthusiastic mother danced with her toddler on the lawn, below the wild mustang sculpture. The tiny girl bounced about, grinning from ear to ear, on her mother’s hip. Several distinguished older men, in slacks and polo shirts moseyed about, often with a drink in hand. I had not brought Jesse, my three year old, along because of the drinking, but this bunch posed no threat to anyone. I decided to bring her next time.

After a half an hour, Severn leaned over and hollered in my ear.
“ Hey Mom, this is great, but its damn hot,” he said, as he wiped the sweat from his neck. “Let’s go back to your place and BBQ. I’m buying.”

Though I was having fun, an evening of BBQ and a cold beer, with my growing up son and his significant other, sounded much more intimate. I left, reluctantly.



Downtown Nampa Nights Info.

There are two Downtown Nampa Nights events lefts. They are held every Thursday through the summer, and begin about 5:30 pm. The event is totally free. It’s wonderful adult fun, and family friendly.


o Thu., Aug. 26, 5:30 p.m. · The Legacy Band


o Thu., Sept. 2, 5:30 p.m.· The Flavors

No comments:

Post a Comment